Saturday, November 1, 2014

St. Dunstan's Quilt 2015 - Week 1

Today is November 1st.   I have earmarked November to sew St. Dunstan's 2015 Raffle Quilt top together.   I had suggested a design that I would like to sew.  

Well, I've changed my mind.  I don't want to sew that suggested quilt and now we are going to do a more traditional quilt.   It's a churn dash quilt.   The body of the quilt will comprise 50 churn dash 9" blocks of various colors and three borders.   It will be a good queen size quilt at 85" x 95".    I'm excited to get started.    Of all the quilts I've sewn, I don't think I've ever sewn a churn dash block.

This morning I made the test block (or three).  They're perfect.   I've picked through my fabrics and have picked out 15 or more colors that read as solids.    I'm making an aggressive plan.  Even though I have a busy week ahead, I hope to get 18-20 blocks done this week.   I have time today, so I thought I'd cut the fabrics to do 20 blocks and have them ready to sew each day this week.      So, I have three down, and up to 17 to go.  

Come back next Saturday to see how it's coming along.

1 comment:

Dolores said...

What size are they? I've always liked the churn dash - aka hole in the barn door. It was the first block I ever pieced.