Thursday, June 5, 2014

Does Red Fabric Scare You?

It's time to think about what quilt I will make for the St. Dunstan's quilters raffle quilt this year.   They like big blocks, they like lots of light or white because it shows off the quilting.   I haven't done a red and white quilt for them for about 13 or 14 years... and that would have been the first quilt I ever made for them.   

I thought this cover quilt from this Classics from McCall's book would be perfect.  Fun for me to sew and also so traditional and elegant for these quilters to quilt.  

So it's time to start the hunt for reds. My mission over the next month is to collect a variety of reds for this quilt.   Knowing that red fabrics bleed, I'll take precautions to pre-treat these fabrics so they don't bleed.   What I don't know, is if one pre-treatment is enough?   

1 comment:

Caro said...

I just washed a red piece of fabric I want to use on the back of a quilt four times and the Color Catchers still turned dark pink. I will probably wash it another couple of times to be safe :(!