Monday, September 2, 2013

Linda's Lady Ashburnham Pickles

It's a drizzly afternoon here in Freddy Beach.    But I don't mind.  I'm doing a few things today.  A few days ago,  iLinda H. picked me some giant cukes from her garden.   I was so glad to get them because I wanted to try her Lady Ashburnham pickle recipe.   They are a well known relish around here and  for 5 to 7 dollars, you can pick up yourself a nice freshly made bottle of these pickles at any local vegetable stand or at the market.   But the truth be known, they are pretty simple and cheap to make.   Of course the cutting and dicing of the cukes and onions takes about an hour, but other than that, these were really easy to make.
Linda H. did a nice little blog post last year on the story behind the Lady Ashburnham pickle.  I always thought they were called Lady Ashburn, but it's short for Ashburnham.    Click here for Linda's story.    It's a really interesting to read about this local recipe.  

For my batch this morning, I used 6 giant cukes and 5 large onions and it yielded me 5 pints and a smaller jam jar size.  I couldn't believe how much they cooked down.

So, do you want to give them a try yourself, the recipe is on Linda's blog here.   Now is the perfect time to get your cucumbers from your friends or neighbors or the local markets.  

So, that's it for me.  I think I'm done with pickling for this year.   

2 comments:

Linda H said...

Glad they turned out well for you Gail. They are pretty easy to do - like you said, the chopping of cukes and onions is the worst part- the rest is easy...

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm the recipe sounds delicious!! It must be the day for it...rainy here today; so I made a dozen bottles of mustard pickles...much the same as your relish, but bigger chunks..lol love them...I know I'd love this relish too,.