Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Double Disappearing Nine Patch - A sample

I know you all have seen the disappearing nine patch technique for making up a quick quilt.  But have you ever seen a double disappearing nine patch?

It was new to me, so I just had to try it on some leftover solid neutral fabrics from cutting a kit last week.  I was intrigued.    It's starts with making 9 patches with 5" charm sized squares and then cutting your nine patch in quarters.  But then, do a second round of sewing the 9 patches together (7" squares).   I had enough fabric for 6 blocks.  Each of these super-sized 9 patch blocks will be cut into quarters and arranged.

Now, these 24 blocks make a quilt that is 36" by 56" quilt.   I think it's got quite a modern look.  After I sew these blocks together and machine quilt it, I think it will look nice with a plain dark binding.  A great little modern quilt for a modern baby, don't you think.

Want to give this double disappearing nine patch a try, here's a great pictorial tute.    

2 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Very cool. I may have to try that!

momto1 said...

Thanks for the link and the ideas. Your colors are great. I'm adding this to my list!