Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I made a Screen Tote Bag

I'm going to Halifax this weekend, to watch Grace perform in her dance competition.  On Friday night, my sister is coming to stay at the hotel with us overnight. We're going to be discussing our Grammie Camp 2013 agenda then she is coming with us to watch Grace Dance.

I need to bring a some of the Grammie Camp supplies to review with my sister, and I need a good big sturdy bag to carry it in.  Last summer, I made a number of screen bags, and I think that's what I need.   This morning, I looked in my stash for a heavy fabric for the pockets and made one up one today, totally out of my stash. (I have enough screening kits to make about 7 more bags if anyone wants one).

This bag is mostly made while the bag is flat.  The top edges are folded like double fold bias binding, then slipped over the two ends of the main piece of screening.  Depending on how wide you want the bottom of the bag to be, the pocket strips have to be top-hemmed then stitched to each side of the bag.  The very center of the flat bag becomes the bottom of the bag.   Three yards of webbing is used to make a large loop/handle.  The webbing is positioned on the flat bag and stitched on.  Then little velcro tab is sewn on.   The bag is then folded in half with right sides together, and stitch up the sides.  I make a binding type of cover to enclose that rough inside edge of the bag.  And then finally, the two bottom corners are boxed.  

Voila... You have a heavy duty screen bag with six nice size pockets around the outer bottom of the bag.


5 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

I took one from you in December to give to a friend... remember. Well, never gave it to her.. kept it for myself. Ugh... love them soooo much, I need two.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have one as well. Love the lime green color, especialy with the black mesh. Perhaps we could swap. Lucy

momto1 said...

Great bag!! What kind of screening do you use? I'd love to make one of these for myself.

Anonymous said...

love that one...if you have any extra. The kids use my other one for sleepover bag.
Michele

Kathy said...

Gail, did you put a zipper in the top of the bag...or a closure, hard to see, but it looks closed?