Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dry Hands! Try this homemade Quilter's Handcream

I don't know what it is, but my hands are rough and dry dry dry. I'm sure it's a combination of the cold weather, the wood stove being on constantly. That coupled with the constant hand-washing to avoid those H1N1 bugs, and then that coupled with doing so much sewing, my hands are so rough, they're picky against the fabric. I've been using just regular hand cream but the effect of that lasts about 5 minutes.

I didn't think of it until last night, but I have a recipe that I got from the 1999 Spring CQA Newsletter, to make a quilters hand cream. I'm going out to Shoppers Drug Mart to get all the stuff and I think I'll make a batch. If you don't have a Shoppers, just buy your local drugstore brand.

Here is the recipe. It's best to get a few of your quilter friends to go in on a batch with you and then everyone will have some.

1 jar (400 ml) of Life Brand (Shoppers Drug Mart) Vitamin A cream (14 oz)
1 jar (400 ml) of Life Brand Vitamin E cream (14 oz)
1 bottle (60ml) of baby oil (just over 2 oz)
1 50 gram jar of Vaseline (just under 2 oz)
Whisk all together and put into decorative jars.

3 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Have you triedd your hand at this before (no pun intended). Please let us know how it works.

MissesStitches said...

I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks!

Donna's chitchat said...

very cool. I am not a quilter but I think I would like it too....