Friday, November 20, 2009

A Blue Quilt for St. Dunstan's

I can't believe it's that time of year again already. It just seems like I finished the Nines and Vines quilt for the St. Dunstan's Quilters, but that was mid-January 2009, some 11 months ago.

A few months ago, on a hot sunny day, I visited with the ladies at St. Dunstan's and had a nice cup of tea and a biscuit. I brought books, magazines and snapshots of a dozen quilts that I had pre-selected for them to choose for their 2010 raffle quilt.

Just this week, I bought fabric and I'm cutting out a kit for this quilt and will start sewing next week. There are 10 French Country blues that will go with the white background. The blues are mostly from the same collection, so I'm sure they'll look beautiful together in this quilt. It just so happens that my only grandson wants a blue quilt too, so the left over fabric from this quilt will go into his 'Birds in the Air' quilt.

This is the quilt I will be sewing. The name of it is Nine Patch and Squares but I can't tell you what book it came from. We saw this quilt at a local quilt show and with some rough directions from the quilt maker of this quilt, I'm starting to cut my kit of fabrics. I like the larger white space in the square. This will really show off the fine hand quilting of these ladies. Also the border is room for the stunning rows of their fine stitches.
.
Watch in December for weekly updates on this quilt. I really find that blogging about my progress, helps me to meet deadlines that I set for myself.
.
What helps you get stuff done?


3 comments:

Esther Gregory said...

I love that scrappy quilt you're going to recreate.

As far as getting stuff done: chocolate, tea, and loud music. If that doesn't work talking to someone (phone or in person) while I'm doing chores helps. If that doesn't work... then I don't get anything done :-P

Donna's chitchat said...

the blues are so pretty... and Mitchell will love the left overs. What a nice quilt.. those ladies are lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

Looking Good Gail. Hope that I get to see it in person. Linda