Friday, June 5, 2009

Running

I've been awake half the night. I've got 2 things on my mind.

For the past 2 weeks, I've been taking physio for my bum knee. I've also been preparing to re start my running program under the supervision of my physiotherapist. I've been huffing it on the elliptical, to strengthen my wind. I've been conditioning my knee with leg presses, stretches and ice. And today is the day, that I am to start running again.

I was fully awake at 4:30am this morning. It was light out. Though, too early to go out for my run. I like to run when other runners are out just in case I fall or need help. My thoughts turn to sewing a little storybook quilt that I'm making for baby Aurora. I have it spread out on my ironing board. I need a piece of light light blue fabric. As I lie awake, I'm mentally going through my fabric stash. I think I have a piece of light light pinky white. I'm thinking about the construction of this little quilt.

I look at the clock. it's now 5:30. My thoughts go back to preparing for my run. You would think I was going in a marathon or something... But I am so excited to do this, it's been almost a year since I've had a successful run. It's just before 6 am. I fling the covers off, and I know exactly where my running duds are, my ironman watch, my socks, sneakers, ipod, my long sleeve running shirt cause it's ZERO degrees out. No need to do hair, teeth or any of that stuff. Within 8 minutes I'm out the door.

It was a beautiful sunny morning on the trail. The river water was still. There were rowers out in the water, runners on the bridge. I was impressed with my wind and sweating is wonderful.

The best part is, it's only 7:30 am and there's lots more left of this great day.

2 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

Its funny, I was thinking that its June and I need to start running my 2 minutes walk 8 and start building up to a run in October. i really enjoyed running... it felt so successful... my hip has been good.. so I am hoping to start maybe next week at the gym. It helps me to keep consistant if I start off on a treadmill. Good Luck

Linda G said...

I can't believe that you didn't tell us about your wonderful start to the day at coffee. Or maybe I missed it. I am so glad to hear that you are back and hope that you stay pain free.