Saturday, February 14, 2009

Oatcakes for your Valentine

Do you like Oatcakes? I'm not sure if oatcakes are an east coast delicacy, but I've never seen them when away. I loved the ones that came out a couple of years ago at Tim Horton's. The problem is, that not every store had them. Here is a recipe that someone just gave me and they said that they closely resemble the coffee shop types. I haven't tried this recipe, but I think I will soon. This is a large batch. I'll likely make half a batch. Remember, really good oatcakes are square, not round!

Oatcakes
Ingredients
3 cups (700 ml) rolled oats
3 cups (700 ml) white flour
1 cup (225 ml) sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) salt or less
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
1-1/2 cups (350 ml) margarine
1/2 cup (125 ml) cold water

Preparation
Combine dry ingredients.
Incorporate margarine with a pastry blender.
Add a little water to form a rollable textured dough.
On a counter sprinkled with oats, roll dough 1/2 inch thick. Use a 2-1/2-inch square cookie cutter or a pizza cutter to cut oatcakes into squares. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

cpm said...

I'll wait until you've tried them before attempting them myself. As a "non-cook" I don't like to try anything that hasn't been tested! ha!ha!
Donna's picking up my computer today from Halifax (she was there for the weekend with Sandra!) so I will be back to regular blogging soon! I love reading yours. Always short and sweet with a picture! perfect!

Mam said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I love the ones from Tim and like you have a difficult time finding them. I'll probably cut the recipe in half as well.