Sunday, February 22, 2009

Notable Quilts at the Myrtle Beach Quilt Show - Part I

The quilt show did not disappoint. There were more than a few quilts I really liked. Today, I'll show you 3 quilts that I thought were quite different than what I've seen in the past year.. On Tuesday I'll show you another 3. Click on the photos for more detail.

This first quilt was striking. It is done using the cathedral windows method to product subtle curves in the blocks. There were a number of these quilts at the show, so it must have been a local workshop teaching this cathedral variation. The machine quilting was very nice on this small quilt.

The maker said this next quilt was inspired by a pattern in a Patchwork magazine. What I loved about this quilt was that it was a combination of machine piecing, hand stitching and machine quilting. I love swirly things so the design was pleasing.
The third quilt that I thought was clever was more the title of this quilt. It's called Cross-stitch. I was fairly close to the quilt and didn't quite get what the intent of the name was. It was like a water color gone bad. Then I came in closer to see if I could see cross stitch. Nope. Stepped way back and then I could see, it looked like one of those color coded cross-stitch patterns. I chuckled to myself and I decided I really liked it. Every time I look at the picture, it makes me smile. I enjoyed looking at the machine quilting. It was custom machine quilted beautifully. The maker of this quilt said this was for her beach-house.

3 comments:

Linda H said...

They are lovely Gail. Bet you had a great time - was there a Merchant's Mall - any good finds? I "understand" the Cross-stitch quilt- they use a cross stitch graph to do it, cutting the squares of fabric to coincide with each square on the graph....
Beautiful sunny day here- but another BIG storm on it's way for tonight and tomorrow...ugh...

Donna's chitchat said...

soooo, this is where you were all day yesterday while I was falling apart with your sewing machine. Geesh...
The quilts are beautiful and being a non-quilter, I am sooooo amazed at the work and detail.. which are partly a mystery to me on how they can make such beautiful things. You quilter types are much more knowledgeable on how they do it! if you have to spend your day away from the computer, please take your cellphone with you.. I need you 24/7!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilting in that last picture. I love the variety of quilts you've shown in these three posts about the show.