Sunday, February 22, 2009

Notable Quilts at the Myrtle Beach Quilt Show - Part II

I'm not ready to show you anything on my crazy quilted socks. I've just applied some laces and they are being hand stitched/tacked on. So it's not very interesting - yet. The good news is, is that I've started them.. So next Monday I should have at least some interesting rows of stitching to show...
So, instead here is part 2 of my notable quilts from the MB quilt show.. These 3 are very traditional scrappy patterns. I've left the pictures bigger so you can click on them to see detail.

This first quilt made with scrappy greens, was very striking. I liked the borders, but I can't quite figure out how the blocks go together. The components are simple and I figure it must be put together in long rows and not blocks.. It's a mystery to me....I'm sure I've seen this quilt in one of my scrappy quilt books, but not sure which one. Do any of you know? I wish I was near all my books...I like this one and it's definitely one I would consider making.

The next scrappy brown quilt is in the same category with the first one. OK, can you tell I love scrappy traditional quilts. I can't quite see where the blocks start and and where it ends in this one. . More experienced quilters would know. I am sure I've seen this quilt pattern before at a show in Freddy Beach, but I can't say where for sure.

I have a bunch of purples that I'd like to make a scrappy quilt out of. I think one of these 2 patterns might be perfect for my purples.

I'm not sure if a bargello is actually called a traditional quilt, nor is it very scrappy. I do find it looks scrappy with the many colors. I've always loved a bargello, I picked a bargello quilt last year as my judges choice at the Marco Polo quilt show last year. At first, the colors didn't speak to me until I looked closer and saw the dolphins playing in the surf. Again, this quilt made me smile, I thought the colors were perfect. It reminds me of my morning dolphin watching ritual while here in Myrtle Beach. I don't see them every morning, but I do spend a quiet 10 minutes looking at the water every morning... The colors are right on for the ocean theme of this quilt. Here is the blog entry where I actually got some dolphins playing in the water on video last year...


4 comments:

Linda G said...

Gail, It is so snowy here that I really enjoyed your quilt pictures and the dolphin video. I can't wait to try the cathedral windows one. The scrappy green is just plain blocks with flying geese borders isn't it? You brightened my day! Thanks

Linda G said...

You know that I meant sashing not borders right? Enjoyed the other quilts too.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Gail, your quilts are beautiful. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I grew up in Sydney, N.S. and it's so nice to hear from the Maritimes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these pics. I love the green one that's first.

I'm seeing that quilt as a skinny row of sashing with flying geese and plain strips, then a fatter row with the plain blocks, flying geese and solid blocks, then a skinny row again.